Mr. Collins is of counsel in Hinkle’s Litigation Department. Over the course of his 24 year legal career, he has tried numerous cases in both federal and state courts, and has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in multi-million dollar arbitrations.
Peter is known as one of the region’s premier medical malpractice defense lawyers and has represented individual physicians and hospitals in litigation throughout the states of Kansas and Missouri. He was one of a handful of medical malpractice lawyers to be recognized by his peers as a Super Lawyer in the area of medical malpractice defense from 2009 to 2016.
Peter also has extensive experience representing manufacturers in products liability actions throughout the United States. He serves as national coordinating counsel for a leading food flavorings manufacturer in a series of cases related to industrial exposure to flavoring ingredients. He was named a Super Lawyer in the defense of product liability actions in 2016.
Additionally, he has represented a number of commercial real estate developers in a wide variety of litigation including tort claims and commercial collections, has extensive experience representing defendants in construction defect cases that include claims ranging from negligent project management to claims against subcontractors in nearly every trade. Peter has also represented a variety of clients in regulatory investigations include Federal False Claims Act cases against health care providers for billing practices to OSHA investigations of workplace injuries and death.
Peter was born in Kansas City, Missouri and received a B.A. with honors from the University of Kansas and a Juris Doctorate with honors from Drake University School of Law. He serves on the board of directors of the Kansas Association of Defense Counsel and is called upon frequently to present continuing legal education lectures to other lawyers on a wide variety topics including civil procedure, deposition technique and jury selection.
- Drake University School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of Kansas, B.A., history and economics emphasis, 1988
- Kansas Federal District Court
- Missouri Federal District Court
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- United States District Court, District of Western Missouri
The Law of Expert Witnesses in Kansas State and Federal Court.
- Kansas Bar Association. - 2011
- KBA Litigation CLE. - April 2011
Kansas Association of Defense Council
Defense Research Institute
Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer, 2009-Present, Personal Injury Defense-Medical Malpractice
University of Kansas Cancer Center, All In for a Cure, 2011 Co-Chair
American Bar Association
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Johnson County Bar Association
- Rojas v. Barker,40 Kan. App.2d 758, 195 P.3d 785 (2008)
- Esquivel v. Watters, No. 94,691, 2007 WL 1041762, reversed as to other defendant 286 Kan. 292, 183 P.3d 847 (2008).
- Finley v. Estate of DeGrazio, 285 Kan. 202, 170 P.3d 407 (2007)
- Knorp v. Albert, 29 Kan. App. 2d 509, 28 P.3d 1024 (2001)